Eglwys y Grog, Mwnt, West Wales

Photo: Mike Alexander

Photo: Mike Alexander

A medieval sailor’s chapel of ease dating to the 14th Century on a lonely headland on the West Wales coast.ย  If you look in the centre of the picture below you can just make out the white gable end above the beach. This place, Mwnt (pronounced munt), is also the site of an unsuccessful Flemish invasion in 1155 and its defeat was long afterwards celebrated on the first Sunday in January as “Sul Coch y Mwnt” (Red Sunday of Mwnt), as a consequence of the bloodshed on that day.

Photo: Mike Howe

Photo: Mike Alexander

See more fabulous images of Wales on Mike Alexander’s website www.scapeimages.com

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Eglwys y Grog, Mwnt, West Wales

Stunning. No wonder your music is so beautiful with landscapes such as for these as inspiration.

2. cindy knoke says:

Amazing how beautiful in black/white!

3. candi's dog says:

Amazing pictures of a truly beautiful spot I am lucky to have visited myself a couple of years ago. The memories alone are enough to inspire a song.

Love the pictures & it’s good to hear some of the history of Wales (there’s not enough out there).

5. Wonderful photos from this interesting landscape. I wonder if chapels like this are used anymore, if they have a future. I hope so, since it is such a strong part of history.

Beautiful photos, Mike, especially the first one. Love them! Diolch yn fawr!

7. Julie says:

Un lieu chargรฉ d’histoire … Excellent article, bravo ! Bonne journรฉe Mike ๐Ÿ˜‰

Both of these photos are just superb!

9. What a beautiful place! And I am always amazed when you give dates since in the US the 1700s is considered almost ancient. Likely this place existed even before Columbus got lost on his way to India.

Yes Emilie, the history of some of these places is is pretty deep although I don’t like the sound of red sunday, quite a bit of violence on that day, but then if will try and invade a foreign land….

Seems like all the Mikes I know are talented artists in some field. Those pictures are beautiful.

11. restlessjo says:

What a location, Mike! Love that first shot ๐Ÿ™‚ Wonderfully dramatic in B & W.

12. Thank you, Mike!
    I enjoyed learning a little bit of Welsh history (as well as pronounciation!) along with Mike Alexander’s beautiful images of Mwnt.
    Hope you are well!