The Music of a Landscape….The Prairie

On my 4th album “Heading West” I wanted to interpret some of the North American landscapes that I had seen and felt in the music that I composed.  But more than that I wanted some of the history of those landscapes to be heard in the music, and particularly in the instrumentation that I used.

This tune is about the prairies.  I obviously wanted to depict wide open spaces, but I also wanted the warmth and intimacy of the piano and double bass to convey some of the folk traditions of times past.  It’s not always a comfortable experience to interpret places that you are not completely familiar with, there’s a real danger of creating a cliche, as I have heard many times when the British culture or landscape is interpreted musically by others.

Anyway I hope that you like this one and can see where I’m coming from 🙂

13 Responses to The Music of a Landscape….The Prairie

Gorgeous! Have a great weekend, Mike.

Beautiful music! A nice interpretation even though I haven’t seen the Prairies myself.

Thank you Elina glad you like. Love your photos, your perspective is unusual and the results are wonderful

• Elina says:

Thank you so much Mike! Your kind words mean a lot! I am glad to have found your blog and music… it reflects your balance in life and is very enjoyable 🙂

I have not seen the American prairies – I have just read some blog posts by Canadian bloggers recently. I can’t rule out that I fall for clichéd images my mind has created – but I think your music does justice to the plains!
    I suppose you had the prairies in summer in mind? In winter the weather seems to be pretty harsh there.

I like it and I think it fits very well.

5. Never seen a prairie yet, in real life, but it sounds lovely. Nice music again. So peaceful.

I do enjoy it. Your comments on interpretation of a place are interesting. It makes me wonder if you saw our “plains’ what music you would make from them and if I would agree with you. I haven’t seen the Praires in real life but your musical interpretation merges with how I imagine them to be/feel.

Thank you that’s good to know 🙂 I’d love to see your plains, I’ve always dreamed of visiting, maybe one day….Thanks again for responding, I appreciate it a lot 🙂