Seal Pups And Strife

Photo: Mike Alexander

Photo: Mike Alexander

The Atlantic Grey seals come ashore around our Pembrokeshire coast at this time of year to give birth to their pups.

Photo: Mike Alexander

Photo: Mike Alexander

The pups are white and fairly helpless at first.

Photo: Mike Alexander

Photo: Mike Alexander

The adults patrol the beaches and the mothers are understandably protective…

Photo: Mike Alexander

Photo: Mike Alexander

Usually tranquillity reigns but not always, sometimes there’s the odd disagreement….

Photo: Mike Alexander

Photo: Mike Alexander

I am so grateful to Mike Alexander for sharing these fabulous photographs with me, and you.

14 Responses to Seal Pups And Strife

1. They are such nice animals, not to mention that expression on the sweet pups face.

Much thanks to both Mikes!

3. Fabulous closeups! I find it amazing that seals have their pups as winter is coming on, though. Seems like it would be a very hard season for a baby.

4. Brilliant images, once more! Thank you for sharing them along with your view, Mike. 🙂

We have a tiny Island called Helgoland offshore, here, in the north of Germany. Around this time of year the seals are going there for the same reason you mentioned above. Several years ago I visited them and was so amazed (and pleased) by how aware and curious they are. Not sure, though, if it is the same kind…

Hi Steffi, I’m not sure either if they would be the same species, but I guess they all like to use remote beaches to pup. Thanks for enjoying the photos with me 🙂

Beautiful photos! That pup is so awesome and cute 🙂

They are FABULOUS. Do these seals come ashore around Scotland too? I have a pottery seal which I bought in Scotland umpteen years ago. It looks similar to these seals but I think was sold to me as an Orkney seal.

Yes they do, they come ashore in many places around the British coastline, both Common Seals and Grey Seals, I think the Grey Seals are more numerous – the ones in Mikes photos are the grey seals

7. Colline says:

These photos are amazing. Especially because they show me a sight of animals I never see.