And For Our Next Stop – Navajo National Monument

Navajo National Monument in Northern Arizona is a place I visited years ago and inspired my song “Navajo Wind” on my album “Heading West”.  It is a remote and incredibly quiet place, where the remains of the Anasazi (“Ancient Ones”) cliff dwellings are preserved by the Navajo Nation tribe.  Nobody knows for sure why these people left or where they went, but when you gaze out across the valley at their homes in the rock and the surrounding desolate landscape you can only imagine what their lives must have been like.

Anasazi cliff dwellings at Navajo NM - Photo: Mike Howe

Anasazi cliff dwellings at Navajo NM – Photo: Mike Howe

Cave dwellings - Photo: Mike Howe

Cave dwellings – Photo: Mike Howe

Photo: Mike Howe

Photo: Mike Howe

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to And For Our Next Stop – Navajo National Monument

1. As an easterner, I’m floored by the west’s beauty. Great pictures, Mike!

Thank you, the east is wonderful too, we spent time in Connecticut and that has it’s own special beauty, but the west does spectacular a little more often I suppose!

2. This area is simply stunning. I have visited Canyon de Chelley in NE Arizona several times, and each time I am overwhelmed by a spiritual sense that I have encountered almost nowhere else. So glad you were able to visit again.

3. The history and heritage of the native Americans is so fascinating. It is also a sad one. And a proud one.

We love Navajo National Monument and you have captured them beautifully. It was wonderful to know that they inspired you to write a lovely song.

You’ve done an excellent job in photographing that area, Mike!

It looks so peaceful. It’s wonderful how your music reflects the beauty and calmness of the nature so well!

7. Colline says:

Those homes hewn in the rock face are fascinating.

They really are Colline, and in such a remote, quiet, arid landscape. They look like they were abandoned just yesterday, and yet there they have stood unused for hundreds and hundreds of years. Fascinating is definitely the word 🙂

8. Surely I am not really made for the desert… yet, there are so many beautiful places worth visiting. This is surely one of them and on my “to see” list.

How wonderful that you got to visit there the second time, Mike! 😀

Hope you and your family are acclimatizing (correct word?) well back in the British time zone.

Much love!

It was so wonderful to go back there Steffi, it is such a serene peaceful place and the Navajo are really friendly. It was bakingly hot though, perhaps a late autumn or early spring visit would suit you better 🙂

• I hear you, Mike. I’ve seen a few places around the Northern Pueblos of New Mexico and found it pretty hot in late spring – fortunately the cars had air-condition. 😉 But I also noticed that the desert and its sacred places have their own energy, which feels exactly like you described it. 🙂

9. Isn’t it amazing all the unique things there are to see in the world. Great post!

How close are you able to get to the cave dwellings? They look fascinating.

You can’t get any closer than the other side of the valley because this is a sacred site. The Navajo run it and it’s beautiful and friendly, and the trail down to the viewing point is lovely, although extremely hot! (not complaining, winter will be back with us soon enough) 🙂