Amongst Giants

Sequoia grove

Grove of giant sequoia trees

Sequoia National Park is one of my favourite places in the world.  The giant trees are the biggest and some of the oldest living things on Earth, and my attempts to convey their colossal size were scuppered by my limited photographic skills.

General Sherman

If you’ve never been to this beautiful National Park in the high Sierras of California, I couldn’t recommend it more highly, it is absolutely stunningly beautiful.

General Sherman 1

This is General Sherman, the biggest living thing on the planet.  Take it from me it is a giant of breathtaking proportions and truly awe inspiring.  The light in these mountains is wonderful, and the air is thick with the pungent smell of pine.  Walking amongst these great trees is something I’ll never forget.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Amongst Giants

We love Sequoia National Park. I have yet to see anyone capture the true size of these massive trees, no matter their skill with the camera.

2. Leya says:

I would like to walk there…these trees are magnificent. Ever since I was a child and saw pictures of them I have wanted to go…

What a wonderful experience! I would love to walk under those trees and smell the pine. I probably wouldn’t like the crowds either – I guess there’s no off-season!

There probably is a lovely quiet time of year Jo, although having said that once we walked a short distance from the biggest tree all was calm and serene. I had an amazing hike from the camp site to the giant grove and didn’t see another soul, although I was slightly worried about bears and mountain lions!

Really stunning!! I think the challenge in taking a photo doing those trees justice is that you would need to place a human being or a car or something else next to them for comparison. So I find the image showing that fence most impressive.

You’re right Elke that’s the best way to present the scale. Unfortunately there were so many people queueing to get their photos taken I couldn’t get near enough, and also I didn’t like the crowds, I wanted to experience the aura of the place in peace and quiet! 🙂

5. Ingrid says:

The size of those trees is hard to comprehend. I can’t wait to visit this NP. 🙂

I’m sure you’ll love it when you do. I recommend the Lodgepole Campground, probably my favourite in the world too, it’s so beautiful and peaceful and the facilities are nice. I look forward to seeing your photos when you get there 🙂

6. I hope to be there next fall, Mike! Planned to be there right about now but a family thing came up, so now the plan is next September.
    Thanks for the photos. You can look at some of mine next year.

7. Amy says:

Great captures of these majestic trees!!

I’m glad that you were able to visit there and see them!

Pretty amazing! What an honour to stand under these giants.

You have said it as well as it can be said. These trees are something that must be seen. What a wonderful world!