A Small Thought At Journeys End

Golden Gate Bridge

Golden Gate Bridge

It’s been a while since our little jaunt from east to west across America came to an end in San Francisco.  It was really just an extended family holiday but travelling across a continent of such magnificent landscapes and amazing towns and cities always leaves you changed a little.

San Francisco

It’s easy for us to criticise the countries that we live in and to take the incredible privilege of doing so for granted, but when I think back to standing at the Ground Zero Memorial in New York City on this anniversary of 9/11, and when I hear in the news everyday stories of madness and destruction, lack of human rights and freedoms in so many other countries in the world, I realise that America, along with so many other countries where freedom and democracy are regraded as a basic human right, is a pretty good place.

Ground Zero Memorial

Ground Zero Memorial, New York City

Those spectacular American landscapes and landforms, more than any others that I’ve seen, remind us that the world is very old, much older than any holy book would have you believe.  They were there before we arrived, and they’ll be there long after we’ve gone.  Homo sapiens in all of his/her arrogance doesn’t appear to be capable of realising that the universe isn’t all about tiny, insignificant us, it couldn’t be less so.  But beautiful mountains, plains, lakes, rivers and seas at least give us the chance to see the world as it really is, if only we take the time to look.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to A Small Thought At Journeys End

Wonderful pictures Mike & special last paragraph

2. Beautifully put and lovely photos, Mike!

Beautifully said Mike! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your journey through our wonderful country. 🙂

Well said, Mike. I couldn’t agree more. I have really enjoyed seeing your photos from your trip – thanks for sharing them!

It certainly isn’t all about us! We need a more humble approach to our earth.

I’m glad that you enjoyed your trip, Mike. You were able to see a lot of the country!

7. Rod Howe says:

I’ll drink to that!

Folks talk about saving the planet. The planet doesn’t need us saving it! We’d better worry about saving ourselves. And maybe a few other species we’ve been harassing.

9. You are so right, Mike.
    I get incredibly frustrated with the politics here, and at least twice a year I swear I’m leaving for good. Would it be better somewhere else? Not necessarily. But at least it wouldn’t be my “representatives” doing the things I disagree with.
    I don’t know what’s up next for me, but if I can sell my house, for sure I’ll wander Mexico awhile. If nothing else, I’ll be able to find new things to blog about. 🙂

10. What a great trip you must have had!